Chocolate Babka Buns

Ooey, goey, melty chocolate swirled in soft, fluffy brioche dough. The best buns I've ever tasted! 




It's midweek and school's okay so far. I guess this week has been more of extra non-academic stuff rather than real homework. Like CCA and monitor duties. Yup I'm assistant monitor again this year, although I've sweared I wouldn't be one at the start of the year. But oh well just do it. 



But back to these buns. It's interesting that Wednesday always seems to be the best day for baking for me because everything I make on Wednesday seems to turn out good haha. Maybe because it's my only free weekday and maybe because I happen to make bread every Wednesday. Which is good! 



Despite all the bread baking, this is one of the best breads I have ever tasted. If babka sounds foreign to you, it's basically a super enriched bread like brioche swirled in lots of chocolate and baked in a loaf- this time, I'm making it into individual sized buns.To be honest, the dough seemed all wrong when it first began- it looked like a paste, not even a sticky bread dough, and I got quite worried. Trusting my instincts, I crossed my fingers and added more flour. Thank god it worked out! 



This recipe calls for quite a lot of chocolate, but feel free to add less (or more!), but I don't suggest reducing it by too much. I used about 200g of chopped chocolate instead of 225g, and the amount was perfect for me. After all, this bread is meant to be super decadent, and reducing the amount of chocolate just defeats the whole purpose of this bread doesn't it? :) 



I can't stop raving about this bread because its is amazing. The whole house smells of brownies when it's baking, and when it's fresh out the oven, the chocolate just oozes out like crazy. It's melty, goey and extreme chocolatey goodness. The dough is so soft and so moist and incredibly buttery. It's babka is a whole new way. As I was photographing these guys I was just stuffing my face with babka and more babka because it was just so so good. You have to trust me. It's the ultimate chocolate bread. The best you have ever tasted. 



Chocolate Babka Buns
Recipe adapted from Portugese Girl Cooks 

Dough:
1/2 cup milk 
1/4 cup sugar 
2 tsp instant yeast 
1 egg 
2 to 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour 
1/2 tsp salt 
3 tbs unsalted butter

Filling:
225g finely chopped bittersweet chocolate 
1/4 cup sugar 
1 tsp ground cinnamon 
3 tbs room temperature butter 

In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, combine milk, sugar, yeast, egg, salt and 2 cups of flour. Once a rough dough is formed, add in the butter. 
If the dough seems too sticky, gradually add 1/2 cup more flour. The dough should be very sticky but still dough-like. 
Let the dough prove for 1 to 1 1/2 hours in a warm environment. 
While the dough is proving, mix the ingredients for the filling together. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners, or lightly butter. 
Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a large rectangle. Generously spread the filling on top. 
Fold the bottom end of the dough to the top 1/3 of the dough, and the top end of the dough to the other folded end (like an envelope).
Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 12 strips. 
Twist the strips, then wrap it around your finger, tucking the ends into the centre. 
Place the buns into the cupcake liners, and prove for around 30 minutes. 
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. 
Brush the buns with egg wash, and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown on top. 



Share this:

,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment