Raspberry Frangipane Tarts

Crisp, buttery pastry with sweet vanilla almond frangipane, topped with tart raspberries.





Okay so this came about because 
1) I couldn't resist buying a bag of frozen mixed summer berries at the baking shop 
2) I went to the library and read a couple of cookbooks and saw almond frangipane. Twice.
3) I turned on the TV and saw my favourite pastry chef (Anna Olson!) making raspberry frangipane tart

And I knew I had to make this. At least try. 



I've never tasted frangipane before, but the thought of moist, sweet, vanilla and almonds is just so so tempting. It's just buttery and delicious and everything I want to put in a cake. I feel like eating a huge slice of pound cake with lots of that frangipane sandwiched in between and an almond crossaint with those crisp, toasted flaked almonds and brioche smothered with frangipane and more toasted almonds. That delicious bostock would be my dream breakfast. Everyday. 



You could very easily make a couple of changes to this frangipane to suit your needs and make it your very own. I think some lemon zest and orange zest would go beautifully in here, or you swap out some of the almonds for ground hazelnuts and add in some cocoa or melted chocolate or coffee powder. And oh that with some bananas and salted caramel and Nutella with that would be so so good. 



Anyway I'm leaving you with this recipe for frangipane. The tart base I used was some leftover pine nut pastry I had in the freezer, though I would recommend you use just any regular shortcrust pastry (the pine nuts in the pastry overpowered the subtle almond flavour). 

Happy baking!! 

Almond Frangipane Tarts
Makes about 6 tartlets 

Enough short crust pastry to line 6 tart pans 

Frangipane (adapted from Will Torrent's Pâtissiére at Home
100g softened butter 
100g caster sugar 
3 eggs 
100g ground almonds 
2 1/2 tbsp plain flour 

Handful of raspberries 

Line 6 tartlet pans with pastry, let chill till firm (preferably overnight) 
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
Beat butter and sugar on high for 4 min, till fluffy. Best in the eggs, one at a time, stirring till smooth. 
Fold in ground almonds and flour. 
Divide the frangipane evenly between the chilled tart pans, and lightly press a few raspberries into the frangipane. 
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the frangipane is puffed and golden, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 



Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment