Pork Floss Hot Cross Cake

Savoury pork floss swirled in moist, fluffy old-fashioned sponge cake.



It's been a month of ups and downs for me- I've been baking lots- mostly to test new recipes and to relieve some stress- and I've experimented with a couple of new flavours like yuzu and I'm thinking of new flavours and bakes that I'm so excited to share with you! There have been stressful moments, moments of doubt and worry, but also moments of excitement and joy that has called for celebration baking. Baking has also been my way of therapy- other than spending a lazy morning reading the newspapers and reading a book- it's my way of releasing energy and making me feel that the world is a better place. It feels good.

 
After leaving my sourdough starter in my fridge, dormant, for 2 weeks, I'm glad to say that he's still alive and bubbly after I've fed in the morning- matcha red bean bread proving away now! But for now I've got some pork floss cake to feast on. 


I know pork floss cake isn't something you would think of intuitively, unlike pork floss buns, but it actually is quite nice, especially when you pair it with a light, eggy cake that is not too sweet. I love this sort of cake- it's a little eggier and moister than a chiffon cake, and it has this distinctive light vanilla baked taste that I love so much. It's really just comfort cake- so, so good. 



Pork Floss Hot Cross Cake
Recipe from Victoria Bakes 

4 egg yolks 
50ml coconut oil 
60ml milk 
70g cake flour, sifted 
4 egg whites 
50g sugar 
A few handfuls of pork floss 

Line a 6 or 7 inch deep cake pan with parchment paper at the base. Do not grease the sides, do not use a non stick cake pan. 
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. 
In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, coconut oil, and milk. Whisk in the cake flour until just incorporated but smooth. Set aside.
In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk egg whites until frothy, add the sugar gradually in three additions, and beat till egg whites are medium-stiff. 
Fold in the egg whites into the egg yolk batter in thirds. Fold until just combined. 
Pour half the cake batter into the prepared cake tin. Sprinkle over a generous layer of pork floss, then cover with the remaining cake batter. 
Bake for 40 min. After 7 min of baking, use a sharp knife to cut a cross on the surface of the cake. Cover with tin foil if the top browns too quickly. 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment