Sweet Potato Buns

Fluffy sweet potato buns with a delicious, creamy sweet potato filling. 




I love Sundays where I can just sit down, read the newspaper, bake, and bury myself in cooking books and fictional stories, munching on my bake for the day. I love it when I free myself from all my schoolwork and stresses and just give myself some time to do the things I love, taking some time to unwind and recharge for the next busy week ahead. Sundays should always be like this- tucked up in bed with a warm cup of tea and a good book as the storm rages on. My idea of a perfect vacation :)

School can sometimes be difficult, and I admit I'm a bit of a perfectionist- in a sense that I love being an achiever. That's good, in a way, but it's also bad for me because then I pressure myself so much that I lose the time to do other things that are so important to me. My frantic studying in the holidays may have paid off in terms of my results, but I lost out on so much time, time that I could've used to meet up with friends, to explore the places I've always wanted to go, to spend my entire day cooking and bustling about in kitchen and finally collapsing in bed at night in happy fatigue. Perhaps hard work doesn't always guarantee good results, but for me at least it gives me pleasure knowing that I've put in all I've got. I wonder if it's really worth it, that if my hardwork and results really do count so much, or if it's just something that the Singaporean society values. 

Anyway, this week we are back in full swing (it's almost mid term!) and if there's one thing I really need to do, it's to learn to relax and let go. I've been so tight with myself sometimes I wonder if I might burst someday- containing my emotions, thoughts, feelings in myself, doing so much to pursue good grades until my mind feels like it has been saturated with information. Thinking and daydreaming about things I know are not going to happen, but holding on to that hope anyway. I guess sometimes it hurts being such an altruistic, positive, and determined person. But that's the way it is, and that's the way is going to stay. 

All I can say is: keep calm, press on, and enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Things will pass as quickly as they come. 



Sweet Potato Buns 

350g bread flour 
60g sugar 
3g salt 
5g instant yeast 
80ml water 
100ml milk
100g sweet potato, steamed and mashed 
55g butter, soft 

Filling:
Mashed sweet potato 
Couple teaspoons of sweetened condensed milk 
A good pinch of salt 

Combine all the ingredients except butter, add in the soft butter and knead still soft and elastic, passing the windowpane stage. 
Let rise for about 50 minutes till doubled in size. 
Divide the bread dough into 12 portions, shaping into balls. Let rest for about 5 minutes. 
Using a rolling pin, flatten each ball into a nice round. Place a generous scoop of filling on, and press three edges of the circle towards the centre to form a triangle. Pinch the ends tightly, and place seam side down on a lined baking sheet. Repeat for the rest of the buns. 
Let rise for about 50 minutes till doubled and springs back slowly when touched. 
Using a small seive, lightly dust a buns with flour and use a sharp razor to slash patterns on the buns. 
Bake in a preheated 190 degrees Celsius oven for 20-25 minutes. 







Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment