Hazelnut, Espresso and Speculoos Cake

I don't make layered cakes very often, and when I do, it's often for a celebration. Don't  tell anyone but I actually make my own birthday cakes- not that I don't like any storebought cake. For me, birthdays should be about giving love, sharing love, and spreading joy, and I think the best way I can do that is baking for the people I love. And well, I guess it's another reason for me to try out new flavours and my practise cake decorating skills, so why not? 




This year, I've opted for a hazelnut, espresso, and speculoos cake- an espresso sponge filled with crunchy pockets of toasted hazelnuts, a speculoos buttercream, and finished off with a layer of salted chocolate ganache. I've no idea how I came up with this flavour combination, but they do work! The bit of spice from the speculoos really complements the warmth of the espresso, which is perfect with toasted hazelnuts. And duh, dark chocolate is great in everything, right? 




I attempted to do a chocolate drip cake because my previous attempt with a salted caramel drip for my dad's birthday failed quite miserably heh but it's okay it's not my first baking failure whoops. This chocolate drip turned out slightly better- but I guess my cake layers weren't very straight so the chocolate drip went all wonky. And also my cake wasn't very tall so the drip wasn't quite obvious- another layer of cake would've made a prettier drip. In any case, I'd say it's a good attempt, or at least better than my previous one. 




Hazelnut, Espresso and Speculoos Cake 


Sponge: 

200g butter, softened 

120g blanched hazelnuts, roasted and chopped 

200g sugar 

3 eggs

200g self raising flour (2 tsp baking powder + rest plain flour) 

1 tsp baking powder 

1 tbsp strong coffee 


Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a find, till incorporated. Sift in the flour and baking powder. Fold in the nuts and coffee. 

Bake in 2 8-inch greased and lined sandwich tins at 180 degrees Celsius, 30-35 min. 

Cool completely before frosting 


Speculoos frosting 

150g butter, softened 

1/2 cup speculoos cookie butter 

1 cup icing sugar, sifted 

1 tbsp milk 

Pinch of salt 


Cream butter and speculoos till light and fluffy, add in icing sugar, milk and salt, beat till fluffy and smooth. 


Chocolate glaze

2 ounces dark chocolate 

1/4 cup cream 

2 tbsp cream 


Combine ingredients for glaze in a small saucepan over low heat till the chocolate is melted. 

Cool completely, chill in the fridge till thick. 


To assemble:

Frost and fill the cake layers with speculoos buttercream. Chill till firm. 

Gently spoon the chocolate glaze over the edges of the cake. Decorate with crushed speculoos cookies and hazelnuts. 


Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment