Yeasted Wholemeal Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread

Bread baking seems so much simpler after attempting to make sourdough loaves- at least I no longer need to worry about whether my leaven's working (because my yeast usually is) and I know how to adjust the recipe to suit my needs and what the dough should feel like. Bread baking no longer seems daunting or scary anymore (especially with my dear Bosch mixer) as it used to be last time- back when I followed every measurement to the T because I was afraid if I didn't the yeast would be angry (HAH).  





But after many trials and practices and failed flat loaves and hard dry crusts I think I've truly learnt a lot about bread baking- and that I'm so much more comfortable with it now than I used to. I'd say baking soft fluffy loaves are a lot easier to master than crusty ones- you just need to know how to knead it sufficiently and know how to develop flavour in your dough. For crusty loaves, developing depth of flavour is a lot more important, with longer fermentation and a higher hydration that makes it a little harder to work with. And then it's the shaping, slashing and baking that make a lot of difference too.  




Today's loaf is really easy- no tangzhong, no Sourdough, no overnight starter. It's a sweet style of yeasted loaf- no not like the banana bread which is is really just a cake-muffin loaf- but it's a softer, fluffier version (and a better vehicle for peanut butter in the mornings). This really does make the perfect peanut butter sandwich, with warm dark chocolate oozing out of the crisp, caramelised edges. It's quite sweet- so please don't try making a ham sandwich with this- but it's perfect for a sweet, delicious breakfast I'd have anyday over regular banana bread. My favourite thing about this bread has to be the caramelly swirls of cinnamon sugar throughout- pops of familiar warmth and sweetness as I sink my teeth into soft, fluffy bread. Yumz!!  




Yeasted Wholemeal Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread  


Recipe from Moonblush Baker 


60ml water  

25g honey  

4g yeast  

150g Wholewheat flour  

150g bread flour  

15g milk powder  

30g mixed seeds 

30g butter (reserve 5g for filling)  

1 1/2 overripe bananas (about 3/8 cup mashed)  

86ml yogurt/milk  

A few drops vanilla extract  

2.5g salt    


Filling: 45g raw sugar + 1 tbsp cinnamon    


Combine all the ingredients for the dough and knead till windowpane stage. 

Let rise 1 1/2-2 hours till doubled in size.  

Roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Brush on the remaining 5g butter and sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar. 

Roll the dough up like a Swiss roll, then cut in half lengthwise. 

Twist the 2 long pieces of dough together, then place twisted side up in a greased loaf tin.  

Cover with plastic and let rise another 1 hour until doubled in size.  

Brush with egg wash, then bake in a preheated 200 degrees Celsius oven for 35 minutes.  

Cool completely before slicing.   

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment