Champion Egg Loaf

Bread is one of those things that I love to bake- mainly because its the perfect vehicle for my favourite chunky peanut butter (though digestive cookie, you're great too!) and I just love my carbs, man. I mean bread, cakes and cookies are all carb rich (not to mention calorie rich too hehe) and I love them all, both to bake and eat. Sometimes when I face failed dense mounds of lifeless, sourdough loaves, I turn to one of those classic yeasted bread loaves to find solace. This is one of them. 



This is the sort of loaf that's perfect both sweet and savoury. I think its really good toasted with ham and cheese and a handful of lemon-dressed salad greens- the thin crisp crust and the eggy, almost brioche/challah-rich like centres are so good with something crisp and cheesy and its the kind of thing I love having in the morning. And not to mention those creamy, buttery scrambled eggs (just set, never overcooked) nestled between the two pieces of bread. 

Oh and I have to mention the best ever afternoon snack/pick-me-up which is a thick (I mean thick) layer of peanut butter/ nutella / cinnamon-spiked speculoos (!!!), buttered on the inside, and filled with sliced, ripe bananas and a sprinkling of chocolate chips- then toasted on a screaming hot pan on both sides (buttered side up) till its crisp and toasty and the bananas are almost goey and melty in the middle. Cut in in half (triangles, always, for the reminder of  the sandwiches I used to eat as a kid) and relish the goey melty chocolate dripping down your fingers. You won't stop I promise, and I finish the sandwich, licking my fingers of all melty drippy peanut butter and fuelled up for more things coming my way. 

Champion Egg Loaf

250g bread flour
45g sugar 
3g salt 
125g eggs
10g milk powder
63g water
36g butter

Knead the dough (except butter) till smooth and elastic. Add in the soft butter and knead till windowpane stage.
Let the dough rise 40 min, then punch down and rise another 20 min. 
Turn out the dough into a lightly floured surface and divide into 2 portions. Roll each portion into a log, flatten out, then roll up like a swiss roll. Place both logs of dough into a greased loaf tin and let rise till it reaches about 80% of the height of the tin, about 40 min. 
Brush with egg wash, and bake in a preheated 185 degrees celsius oven for 30-35 minutes. 


Share this:

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Did u forget yeast in the recipe? Or it's not required?

    ReplyDelete