Chocolate Banana Cake with Salted Chocolate Ganache

Whence could it have come to me, this all-powerful joy? I sensed that it was connected with the taste of the tea and the cake, but that it infinitely transcended those savours... the whole of Combray and its surroundings, taking shape and solidity, sprang into being, towns and gardens alike, from my cup of tea. 

- Marcel Proust, Swann's Way 





It's been an awfully long time since I've set aside time to write a little something. It's been an exhausting year so far, filled with pleasant surprises, stressful periods, moments where I just feel like I desperately need a break but yet I I don't know how to stop- and moments where I kind of just feel like giving up and go to pastry school instead (heh). I'm just glad that this entire fiasco will be over in a couple of weeks time, and that I've just got to push on with whatever energy's left. I'm looking forward to having some time for myself to explore things and experience new adventures, to get lost in new places and find myself again. And to truly discover what I like and what I love and to reach the point in my life where I know what I really want to do in the future. I am really the most indecisive person on earth. 


Inspirational talk over, this cake emerged because... we all need a little chocolate to tide us over tougher times right? Baking always has the magical power of healing- when you bake low effort and get great results - it's always a confidence booster for me. The best part about baking really is eating the cake batter (!) and stealing the warm goey pieces straight from the tin while its hot (when no one's watching). And I love the salted chocolate ganache, hot from the pot, with a dash of vanilla and pat of butter that makes it oh so silky smooth. Like, I would spread it on toast if I could (and actually, I can). It's these simple comforts that make every day life that much more exciting and it's these little things that really make me smile on the inside. At the very least, it provides a little motivation and comfort to my soul that everything's okay, that it'll be okay, and your achievements don't matter so much as who you are and what you do.  





Chocolate Banana Cake with Salted Chocolate Ganache

(Adapted from bearnakedfood)

Makes an 8 inch square cake 


200g caster sugar 

140g all purpose flour 

30g cocoa powder

3/4 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp baking soda 

1/4 tsp salt 

1 egg 

1 large Banana, mashed 

1/2 cup warm water 

1/4 cup milk 

1/4 cup vegetable oil 

3/4 tsp vanilla 



Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line an 8 inch square tin with parchment. 

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients together. Whisk wet and dry ingredients together till smooth. 

Bake for 20-25 minutes till skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cool completely. 


Ganache 

140g dark chocolate, chopped 

1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

7g unsalted butter 

A splash of vanilla 

A good pinch of flaked sea salt


Heat the whipping cream in a small saucepan till almost at a simmer. Pour over chopped dark chocolate and stir till smooth. Add in the butter and a pinch of flaked sea salt. Cool slightly till spreadable before smearing it over the cake. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt if you like (or add sprinkles! or toasted almonds! or chocolate chips!) 




Share this:

CONVERSATION

1 comments: